Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Forecasting fun with Foreman and friends

After many years of incredibly hard work by equally incredible people, Kyle Foreman and friends (fine colleagues, but I love those alliterations) published their forecasting paper in The Lancet today! It was truly an honor to work with the team and to help bring their results to life (though with their innovative figures and visualization tools, they really didn't need the help).




Today I learned...
How to actually read cohort graphs/results! Thanks to Slide 44 in my epidemiology class (see below) and Ali Rowhani-Rahbar's phenomenal teaching, it makes so much more sense to me now.



Good thing I was able to "fake it until you make it" with Marissa Reitsma and colleagues when I was helping to write the GBD 2015 smoking paper and we were drafting results about that multicolor cohort graph...though the more likely situation was that Marissa immediately sensed I wasn't sure how to properly interpret the graph and quietly fixed anything amiss before the paper was submitted. Because that's how lovely Marissa Reitsma is.

Today I'm grateful for...
The thoughtful, brilliant, and inspirational people in my PhD cohort. For instance, Elizabeth Irungu and I try to sit together at our epidemiology discussion sections and lectures, which I so appreciate this since our lives don't overlap too frequently with our different class and work schedules. Today Elizabeth kindly listened to me talk about how I was struggling to balance everything and figure out how to prioritize my (comparably light) class demands with work and studying and so on, providing me the space I needed to vent. We then started talking about other things, and while I don't remember now how exactly it came up, she mentioned how her family was back home in Kenya and she wanted to make sure she didn't miss too much of her boys growing up while she was pursuing her PhD, and that she was also trying to figure out the right balance of school, work, and life too. It was a moment that (1) my admiration for Elizabeth soared even higher; and (2) put a lot in perspective, especially in terms of how far so many people came for this program and what (hopefully) short-term sacrifices are being made for these long-term investments in ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment