Thursday, April 11, 2019

Of doctoral delight and doom

Because sometimes, the completely unnecessary purchase - particularly for someone on a grad student budget - seems priceless when you know it will it put a smile on your face whenever you see it...which would typically be at least 2-3 times a day...and if you assume an y increase in happiness per x rise in smiles...ok, I'll stop. For now.


I imagine this isn't a unique experience (at all [?]), but wow, PhD life is so odd. The last few weeks have been great, as in actually great: I'm making progress on analyses and manuscripts, my classes are interesting, and some exciting opportunities or side projects are percolating through the pipelines. I'm also sleeping more, working out with greater regularity, and eating healthier - all of which are undoubtedly contributing to feeling great. I mean, I still don't know what I'm doing this summer, let alone for my next research assistantship assignment - and I'm truly, genuinely not stressed out by that uncertainty (or at least not yet, knockonallthewood). 

One, definitely two months ago and I wouldn't have recognized the person I feel like right now, as I was at best floundering. I want to hold to this for as long as possible, this sense of calm and heightened confidence, or at least try maximize it. But I know it's likely fleeting, as this ride is called Of Doctoral Delight and Doom, and the ups can't be ups without the downs.

Today I learned...
How to properly (correction: potentially properly) implement the survey R package and thus finish my homework the day before it was due. One of my goals this quarter is to work on (and complete) homework assignments well before their due date so then I have more time to go to office hours, lab, etc. and actually ask meaningful questions instead of winging it at the last minute.

Today I'm grateful for...
Coworkers who are willing to go to bat for me and/or help me with particular projects, class or work or otherwise. I feel so lucky that I get to be surrounded by such generous - and brilliant - people.

Today's best part...
Is knowing that I have really tasty leftovers for dinner when I get home (i.e., cashew chicken from Molly Gilbert's One Pan & Done). This whole dinner-in nights (DINs) has been a smashing success thus far, and - gasp - I'm enjoying making dinner for myself slash Kelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment