Friday, October 19, 2018

Scottish statistics segues

When your biostatistics professor is Scottish (he's actually from Fife, which is the 'kingdom' wherein I studied abroad during college), lecture slides naturally segue between measuring covariance and "line fitting" for microdata with the Jacobite steam train chugging along the Glenfinnan viaduct...


(aka the Harry Potter train, aka the train to Hogwarts in the movies, 
aka one of the best things I did the last time I was in Scotland [i.e., summer 2015])


Today I learned...
Lowess and Loess, while seemingly related approaches or methods for generating smoothed curves and fitting non-linear "lines" to data, are technically different (or so we'll likely learn later in my biostatistics series). And this apparently is the case, even though they sound. exactly. the. same. 

Today I'm grateful for...
Amanda Smith, who amid our mutually shared love for dry humor and the occasional snarky comment, pushes me to have more patience, and thus helps me to be a better person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment