Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Straight As: attributable, avoidable, avertable, amenable

At our epidemiology class today, I definitely had a flashback to the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) 2015 Healthcare Access and Quality paper and when I had to write a table describing the differences between amenable v. avertable v. avoidable v. attributable mortality or burden...and now we're onto measures of excess risk in class!

Our epi professors, who are phenomenal, like "making" us fill online polls in real-time to test our (hopefully) new-found knowledge...apparently some of us will be studying up on the differences between odds ratios and attributable risks this weekend.



Today I learned...
Well, since I was one of the people who incorrectly said odds ratio instead of attributable risk percentage to the above question, I'm not sure if it quite counts as truly learned yet. With that said, I look forward to digging through the text and studying up on these topics this weekend!

Today I'm grateful for...
Molly Biehl, as she's endlessly thoughtful of others and truly, truly cares about people, dogs, and what's happening out in this crazy world. Plus, her stellar organization always makes me smile (and appreciate how she's thought of everything). She's getting a two-pher today, but that just demonstrates how wonderful she is.

Today's best part...
Was joining the Postcards to Voters gathering Molly Biehl organized at Teku Tavern. We each wrote at least 6 postcards to registered Democrat voters in Georgia, and it truly was the highlight of my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment